Wednesday, August 23, 2017

The Believer's Prayer

“And forgive us our trash passes, as we forgive those who passed trash against us,” prayed six-year-old Susie, as she repeated what she thought she heard earlier during Morning Worship. While it is important that we hear correctly, it is equally important that our daily walk  gives credence to what we pray. Nowhere is this more important than when we pray what I choose to call the Believer’s Prayer.

The Believer’s Prayer is what Jesus taught his disciples to pray. This prayer of Jesus teaches us much about living and praying, about believing and behaving (Mt. 6:9-13, KJV).

I can pray OUR only if my prayer provides room for others and their needs. I can pray FATHER only if I demonstrate this relationship in my daily living. I can pray WHICH ART IN HEAVEN only when all of my interests and pursuits are centered beyond earthly things.

I can pray HALLOWED BE THY NAME only when I, who am called to hear his name, live a holy life. I can pray THY KINGDOM COME only when I am willing to give up my own sovereignty and accept the righteous rule of God.

I can pray THY WILL BE DONE only when I intentionally pursue his will in my life. I can pray IN EARTH, AS IT IS IN HEAVEN only when I truly surrender myself to his service here and now.

I can best pray GIVE US THIS DAY OUR DAILY BREAD only when I put forth an honest effort to obtain it but I seriously consider the genuine needs of others. I can best pray FORGIVE US OUR DEBTS AS WE FORGIVE OUR DEBTORS only when I forgive and release my grudges against everyone else.

I can honestly pray DELIVER US FROM EVIL only when I make preparation to fight in the spiritual realm using the kingdom weapons of prayer and discipline. I can best pray THINE IS THE KINGDOM only when I give my disciplined obedience to my King as his loyal subject.

Moreover, I can pray AND THE POWER only when it does not matter what my neighbors and friends may say or think or do. I can pray AND THE GLORY only when I actively pursue his glory first and avoid my own.

I can pray FOR EVER only if I trust in His promises rather than fret anxiously about the events of each day. I can conclude my prayer with a hearty AMEN, only when I wholeheartedly affirm, “Cost what it will; this is my prayer!”

After all … what is the difference between the atheist that does not support any church and the church member that never actively supports the church to which s/he belongs? Or: what is the difference between the skeptic that rejects the bible and the negligent Christian that never opens the bible? And for that matter: what is the difference between the people of this chaotic society and the professing church member that lives like all the rest of society?

In his deepest moment of devotion and meditation, the Psalmist prayed, “Let the words of my mouth, and the meditation of my heart, be acceptable in thy sight, O lord, my strength and my redeemer (Psalm 19:14, KJV). As true believers, let us enter the Market Place behaving as we have believed.
© 2017Wayne M. Warner

This is walkingwithwarner.blogspot.com

Praying,

     Our Father in heaven, hallowed by thy name, your kingdom come,
     Your will be done on earth as it is in heaven.
     Give us this day our daily bread,
     Forgive our debts, as we also have forgiven our debtors.
     And lead us not into temptation, but deliver us from the evil one (Mt. 6:9-13, NIV)._

No comments: